Wednesday, July 1, 2009

How Strong is Your Brand

The death of Micheal Jackson has caused a global disruption. For the past week, every news outlet has found an avenue to create a MJ story. I have seen more red and black leather jackets, silver gloves, too short pants, and most of all, I have heard every song MJ has ever sang or produced. When I heard of his passing, my mind instantly went to my connection to MJ. I was (still am) addicted to his second masterpiece album "Off the Wall." Before my career in public relations I was a dancer. I must have choreographed one hundred or more dances to the sounds of "P.Y.T" and "Working Day and Night."

Although those songs were written before I could complete a sentence, they became a part of me. Although I can remember as an adult the MJ trial, his crazy methods of raising his children and his many changing faces, in his death I remember how his music makes me feel alive. Can you say that about your brand?

Companies constantly reinvent themselves with new logos, changing tag lines, and even changing colors; but a strong brand lives through the tough times. Take McDonald's. For years they have been known for their burger and fries. America is evolving into this health crazed and green society that drink lattes and embrace diversity. So what does McDonald's do? They embrace the changes by adding healthy salads, iced mochas, and great ads depicting various cultures; but one thing they didn't change-the burgers and fries.

I said all of that to say this: Strong Brands Remain in the Minds of Your Consumer. Don't be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone to change with the times, but don't be stupid and completely step away from what defines you. MJ made mistakes and so will you. He will be remembered more for his gifts than his faults. So turn down the chatter and turn up the music. It's time for your brand to make its mark.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment